Thursday, November 13, 2014

League City, Week 7: 11/03/14 - 11/09/14

Monday, November 10, 2014

Had a great week last week! The people are awesome down here. We invited Ashley to a baptism last night, but she was covering for someone at work and she’s working a ton. She made it to sacrament and we told her before that that was more important than seeing a baptism, so she chose that one. She has been to church twice now. She is making so much progress. I help her when she comes and I think she loves coming. I invited her to live the word of wisdom in a lesson a while back. She struggles with it, but she'll get help from the Garza’s. They are the family she always hangs with that are members. We always teach her at the Garza’s and they are becoming more active because of it. So, two birdies with one stone is ideal right now. So, we talked to Ashley about how through Christ you can overcome addiction and receive tons more blessings instead. We also had a powerful atonement lesson with her where we looked at the atonement in a whole different way. We talked about how Christ came to suffer and die for us so that we can live a happier life and even partake in eternal glory. But we explained that since he died for us, who killed him? Who killed Jesus Christ? Our message was to show that we essentially killed him since he died for us willingly. We can ease his suffering by being obedient, and when we do mess up, speedily repent because he has already felt so much pain for us and he doesn't need to hold that feeling because of our wicked ways. Interesting huh? We also taught that to members and related it to the sacrament and the Law of Moses and animal sacrifices. It’s a way powerful lesson.

We had the temple this week. I drove down Monday night and we stayed at an apartment closer to Houston. Then, at 4:30 the next morning, drove to the temple and it was way cool seeing downtown, skyscrapers and bright lights. Now I can say I’ve driven downtown and back and know the major freeways. There was one point when I was the only one awake in the car, which is not good at all. My companion and the elders we were giving a ride were out while I’m driving among some psycho drivers and in pouring rain. It was scary, but I just stayed calm and kept my eyes forward, I had to. Later I just laughed because no one even knew. Plus they kept doing the 'head bob'. The temple was a success and we received many blessings throughout the week. That’s way sweet you saw the temple. Looks really good in person. I saw it in the dark and then came out and it was shining in the sun. We had a training after our session, with the temple president. That was way cool. I learned so much and gained more love for the temple. I just rented clothes there. I was worried it'd be a hassle since I didn’t have anything, but it was quick and easy. After, i bought socks and slippers for the temple so i don’t have to wear gross used things on my feet!

I have not had a chance to play guitar. I’ve been singing quite a bit, but that’s it. Surprisingly, I’m not the only Ute fan down here. Members and my companion are big Ute fans. It was lame hearing about Oregon. That’s a hard game though, hopefully they learned and gained experience. Oh, and guess what? We get $140 a month and i only spent half of that last month. What you don’t spend rolls over. I saved the most out of everyone I’ve talked to. I still have $135 after shopping today! It’s so comforting.

So we lent our car to the neighboring elders on Friday night and biked around all night. That was cold but fun. We biked to the Garza’s and to our dinner appointment. That was about 2 miles or so one way. Our area is not biker friendly at all. Not many sidewalks or bike lanes and lots of stuff in our way.  So it makes it more intense, but I like it.

Sorry I haven’t been able to send pictures. I haven’t had a card reader, I just borrow them from elders and none of them have had it for a couple weeks and again today.  So, it stinks. I have good pictures too. So, I’m doing good and glad you are too. Thanks for everything.

Love ya,
Elder Janz 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment